Poolside or on a tropical island, nothing says “off the clock” like a floppy hat with a sassy statement – and this DIY is so easy, we added gold leaf to it and took it up a notch!
Watch and see how easy it is to make your own!
- Create a stencil using vinyl. I cut this one on a Silhouette Cameo with plenty of space between the words.
- Trim the vinyl, leaving a wide buffer of vinyl around the words.
- Apply the ‘negative’ of the words to the hat arranging the words where you want them. Place the centers of the letters in the letters. Move your hat to a well protected surface – the paint will seep through the straw!
- Using a paint the same (or similar) color of your hat, sponge a generous amount (acrylic or fabric paints will both work) over the stencil. The goal is to seal the edges so that the liquid gold leaf doesn’t bleed through the straw. This is also helpful if you’re using a contrasting color of paint for your final product.
- Let the base coat of paint dry thoroughly. Touch up any spots that look like they need it.
- Using a soft bristled brush, in an up and down motion, apply the liquid gold leaf. It’s oil based and I generally use a brush I don’t mind throwing away to avoid having to clean it! Two coats may be necessary in some spots.
- When the liquid gold leaf is completely dry/set, remove the stencil and the insides of the letters.
- Touch up any spots that managed to leak through using the hat-colored paint from step 4.
We’ve seen versions using sequins, yarn and fabric – but we have to say, we’re partial to the yummy gold on our hat!
- Silhouette Cameo
- white fabric paint
- liquid gold leaf
What phrase would you put on your hat?
My sister in law, Jessica, modeled the hat on the beach for me over Memorial Day weekend. As we were snapping away, this military service pup strolled by with his people and we took a few pics with him. So thankful for the men, women and pups that help make this country great.
What font did you use? Love!
Haeley @ Design Improvised says
This is really sweet! Love the photos too