It’s traditional in a lot of European countries to have surprise crackers at Christmas and New Years dinner, but we thought it would be a fun addition to a Thanksgiving table too. They are easy to make and you can fill them with all sorts of fun things. It would be a great way to occupy the children at the kids table while the adults are still eating.
1. The most important item is the paper you wrap the crackers in because you want it to match the style of your table. I found these adorable wrapping papers at Michaels for just two dollars. But any wrapping paper or thin pattern paper will work.
2. Gather up the rest of your supplies, you will need a paper towel roll cut in half or toilet paper rolls (1 per person), tissue paper, string or ribbon, a glue stick and scissors.
3. Run glue around one edge of the tube and add the tissue paper square to cover the opening. Then fill it with whatever filling you have. I think it is always fun to add confetti and glitter. I made my own by punching the gold circles from tissue paper and glitter paper. I decided for the adults it would be fun to have them be gift wrapping themed. So I added tags, ribbons, string and clips. That way they will be all prepped and ready to start wrapping for Chirstmas. Really you could go with any theme. I think that the dollar spot at Target is perfect for this, lots of small inexpensive, but always tempting items. Then glue the second tissue paper square on the other end to seal it all.
4. Wrap the paper around the outside and secure it with ribbon or string.
5. Hand them out to be opened after dinner or use them as place cards by writing each persons name on a tag and placing them on their plates.
They are so pretty and add such a fun element to your dinner!