If you are looking for a simple way to add a little luck to your life before St. Patrick’s day, look no further than these four leaf clover medallions.
1. Gather the supplies: I used two sheets of green polka dot cardstock, and gold foiled vellum from My Minds Eye. The vellum is perfect for this because it is stronger then regular paper and has such a cool look when you fold it into the fan shape. I added a gold sequin and button on top.
2. Google to find a free shamrock clip art. I printed it at 100% and then 75% to give me two different sizes. Then I used the clip art as a template to cut the different green cardstock into shape. If you have a Silhouette it would be perfect for this! But I did it by hand because I need a new blade!
Then cut the vellum into 2 inch strips to create the fan. You will need two strips per fan. You can do straight cuts and it will look good but I wanted to make it feel a little mroe finished so I used pinking shears and a border punch to give the edge of the fans different looks.
*A paper cutting tip. I use a fabric cutting mat and cutting blade with a clear quilting ruler instead of a paper trimmer or cutter. It works so much better for me when I am trying to make perfect precise cuts.
3. Fan fold the vellum every 1/2 an inch. I highly recommend getting the Martha Stewart Scoring Board ( we are not affiliated in anyway, I just find that it’s a product that comes in super handy). If you are at all interested in making items like paper fans or boxes or even cards and you want nice clean folds. While you can totally do it on your own without a score board, it just makes the folds so nice and clean. Especially when you are using a material like vellum.
4. Using hot glue or another strong adhesive, glue the edges of the strips together to create a circle. Next, glue it down to something to help keep its shape. I use a 1.5 inch circle of cardstock I punched.
5. Lastly, add the two shamrocks and a sequin or button on top. If you really wanted to you could go crazy and add both!
The great thing about these medallions is that you can use them in so many ways. Add a bow for a hair clip. Or some ribbon and a pin to add to your boys’ backpacks. Use them with some adhesive to top off a gift bag, or use them to decorate and add some string and hang them like a garland.
I have some gold branches over my kitchen table with star garlands, and I added a few shamrock medallions for St. Patricks Day.
However you choose to use them we hope you will share the pictures with us!