I don’t know about where you live, but around south Texas, fireworks stands are popping up all over the place. It’s the time of year where we like to celebrate with highly flammable pyrotechnics! My kids loving watching fireworks, but a lot of times if friends are setting off fireworks at home, my kids watch from inside! My older kids can do sparklers, but that’s it. We wanted to come up with something that would capture kids’ attention, and make them feel like they are a part of the celebrations! We brainstormed, and we came up with a great alternative for young kids. Our confetti fireworks are easy to put together, and extremely fun to “set off!” Little hands are the perfect size to fill the straws with the confetti! If you’re going to be taking these somewhere, you can plug the straws with paper and streamers, or you can top them with the printable we have, and just set them off at home.
Kid Friendly Confetti Wand Fireworks:
- Jumbo Straws (1/2 opening is ideal like these >> Smoothie & Bubble Tea Straws <<)
- Small Pliers (or other metal tool with a flat surface)
- Glue Gun
- Confetti (We used the 4th of July mix from The Confetti Bar)
- Paper for plug (cardstock or tag/chip board)
- Printable topper (Get the .pfd here >>> Fourth of July Confetti Wand Fireworks Toppers Printable <<<)
- Make sure you’re using jumbo straws – we used 1/2 clear straws. You can actually find these this time of year at the grocery store. They’re the straws for smoothies, milkshakes or bubble tea or the ones that have the spoon on the bottom. If you have the ones with the spoon, just cut that part off.
- Using a small set of pliers and a glue gun, dab a few dots of glue into the bottom opening of the straw, then immediately clamp the straw with the pliers to seal it.
- Fill the straw with confetti, or confetti mixed with glitter! Don’t pack it too tight, or it won’t come out easily! If you need help getting it in the straw, use a bamboo skewer or a lollipop stick.
- To plug the straws, we rolled up a 1/2 inch strip piece card stock scrap that we glued some gold shred to, until it fit snugly.
If you’re stuck for straws, grab an extra one when you buy your next slushie or milkshake! This is a perfect project to keep little hands busy (just make sure that grown ups take care of the hot glue!). Confetti or otherwise, enjoy your fireworks this Fourth of July!