Today we have gone decadent with our pie week selection. I love chocolate, and I don’t think you can ever have too much. Decadence and pie are an awesome combination! This is pretty much the Jay Gatsby of pies! I should probably share some poignant family story about this recipe, but the first time I made this pie, it was for my husband, while we were dating, and he wasn’t all that impressed. I think it was mostly because he didn’t like my Canadian pronunciation of “pecan.” According to Doug, “A pee- can is something you take camping. A pi-ˈkän is a nut.”) So, now that we know that my husband can’t be relied on due to pronunciation bias, you’re going to have to try this pie out for yourself and let me know what you think. It’s definitely rich, but I don’t see any problem with that!
We made these as individual tarts, but you could just as easily make one big pie. If you’re making a large pie, you’ll want to roll out the dough instead of pressing it into the pan.
What is your most decadent pie?
Double Chocolate Pecan Pie
- 1 1/4 c. Flour
- 1/4 c. Coca powder
- 1/4 c. Powdered sugar
- 1 stick Cold Butter, divided
- 1 Egg yolk
- 3 Eggs, beaten
- 1 c. Corn syrup
- 1 c. Chocolate chips, melted
- 1/3 c. Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Butter, melted
- 2 tsp. Vanilla
- 1 1/2 c. Pecan Halves, toasted
- For the crust, combine the flour, cocoa and powdered sugar in a food processor. Pulse until combined.
- Add the pieces of butter and pulse until the mixture resembles crumbs. They won’t all be uniform.
- Add the egg yolk to the dough mixture, and mix until the dough comes together and forms a ball.
- Wrap dough and chill for 20 minutes.
- Divide the dough evenly into six balls, and press each into an individual t
- For the filling, combine eggs, corn syrup, chocolate, sugar, butter and vanilla. Mix until combined.
- Divide mixture between the six individual tart pans.
- Divide the pecans evenly between the filled tarts.
- Bake in a 350º for 35 minutes. It may need more time, but start checking after 35 minutes. If you decide to do a full size pie, you’ll need to bake it for 45-55 minutes.
- Serve with whipped cream